Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Note to Shanen: Life is not about YOU

So… anyone who knows me, and knows me well, can vouch that I LOVE 80's music. And even more importantly, that I LOVE George Michael! (I know, I know… I’m not his type.)

Well, I know this has nothing to do with my usual Bloggings, but I came across an old song of his that I haven’t heard in sooo long. It reminded me of why I love George (His amazing voice that sucks you in to a trance… and because listening to his music brings back memories of my mom and I dancing to his WHAM! videos when I was a little girl.) Besides the fact that I love his amazing voice, the lyrics are another reminder to me that my life is not about ME. I shouldn't be living for me... but for God's glory. My "problems" are so small compared to what's going on in the rest of the world... the tornadoes, the earthquakes, the flooding, the hunger, the poverty... I mean, seriously. Everyday I make my way home from a comfortable job, in my reliable car, to my cozy apartment where I know I will enjoy air conditioning, a nice, healthy dinner, and a loving husband and precious puppy. These are things we so easily take for granted. And even though I don't completely agree with every word in this song, I think it's still a good reminder that our lives are not about US.

Anyway… I thought I would share the song, the words, and a little "explanation". Enjoy.


Click Here to Listen

Praying for Time
These are the days of the open hand
They might just be the last
Look around now
These are the days of the beggars and the choosers


This is the year of the hungry man
Whose place is in the past
Hand in hand with ignorance
And legitimate excuses

The rich declare themselves poor
And most of us are not sure
If we have too much
But we'll take our chances
'Cause God's stopped keeping score
I guess somewhere along the way
He must have let us all out to play
Turned his back and all God's children
Crept out the back door


And it's hard to love, there's so much to hate
Hanging on to hope
When there is no hope to speak of
And the wounded skies above say it's much too much too late
Well maybe we should all be praying for time


These are the days of the empty hand
Oh you hold on to what you can
And charity is a coat you wear twice a year


This is the year of the guilty man
Your television takes a stand
And you find that what was over there is over here


So you scream from behind your door
Say what's mine is mine and not yours
I may have too much but I'll take my chances
'Cause God's stopped keeping score
And you cling to the things they sold you
Did you cover your eyes when they told you
That he can't come back
'Cause he has no children to come back for

It's hard to love there's so much to hate
Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
And the wounded skies above say it's much too late
So maybe we should all be praying for time

Here is a post from someone that explains the song in their own words. If you’re like me, I thought George’s voice was great, but wondered why he brought God in to the picture… So, I found someone else’s commentary that explains it very well. (I’ve cut out a few pieces to shorten it a bit.) And obviously, I have NO doubt that God IS indeed still with us!!!

[by Betterman on 05-24-2008 @ 02:45:47 AM]

Well, the song was a number one hit. But it's the nature of the song that might make one think. It sort of has its place, but it's not something you hear on the radio every day.

The song is, thankfully, not about a particular event, but sort of a commentary on the state of the world, the culture, and the media's effect on us. He says “this is the year of the guitly man, where the television takes its stand.” I may be wrong, but based off of what Michael said, as well as my own interpretation, I think it's about the media programming us to believe things are a certain way, and we are guilted in various ways - always as a way to get into our pockets, or make us go along with something.

He says “charity is a coat you wear twice a year.” Charity is a fashionable thing to do, and everyone will dress up for the occasion once or twice a year, but is change in their hearts? Do they truly care or understand the full gravity of the world's plight? Maybe what is “over there is also over here”, but they don't at all realize it. We are mesmerized and distracted, distracted by the things we must obtain before it's too late.We're hiding behind our possessions, our faux sense of security, so we “scream from behind our doors” with a defensive scream to the world outside. We “cling to the things they sold us”… It is as if we've made such a mess of everything, that God stopped keeping tabs on who's doing what. I don't think that he is criticizing God for anything, but rather, the lyric is meant to illustrate the state of mankind. That it would be a wonder if God were still with us.

1 comment:

Lavender Lily said...

Oh, I love this song. Carrie Underwood sang it on Idol Gives Back and her version is pretty good. I also think the words are very powerful and thought-provoking.