Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What are we in it for?

Ok, so it's been awhile. Sorry.

But, this is what's been on my mind lately, and after talking to another friend who is feeling the same, I decided I should blog about it.

Many of you know, I am going to Africa soon. In 11 day to be exact!!!!!!!!! Everyone keeps saying it will be life-changing, and that it will really put life in perspective, and that it will change the way I view the world, etc. etc. Well, I totally agree. But the thing is, God is already working on me in that area of my life. (Maybe it has to do with the upcoming trip, maybe it doesn't.)

But, I guess I look at my life and realize I am so Shanen-focused. My prayers sound like this:

"God, thank you I have life today." "Thank you that I have a wonderful husband and family." "Give me peace and mercy and joy today." While these aren't necessarily bad things to be thankful for and pray for, the consistent theme here is "I" and "me."

How often do I pray for those who are losing their lives? Do I passionately pray for the lost? Do I pray for widows and orphans and those who don't have wonderful husbands or any family? And what about that peace, mercy and joy? Am I using that to glorify God and bring others to Him? Or do I simply ask for those because they sure would make my day and life easier!?

Yes, my life is way too much about me, and not enough about my God. I long to be more kingdom-focused. I know this is only the beginning of God working in this area.

I know Africa will be a big part of the mind-change too. I can't wait!!! It's way overdue!

Matthew 21:43 (Amplified Bible)
"I tell you, for this reason the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce the fruits of it."

post signature

No comments: